I'm Janette. I'm a wife, mother of 2 kids, artist, preschool teacher, and Sunday school teacher. My husband is Superman. He's a firefighter, which means that he is home 2 out of 3 days. He's handy, brilliant, crafty, obedient ;), easy going, and always up for my crazy ideas for home improvements.
We have a 6 year old little boy and 4 year old little girl. It's just the four of us ... making our way ... living the American dream ... and trying to spend our days being productive and constructive.
I feel the need to preface this blog by saying that my husband is WAY above average in the 'handy' department. And he usually has WAY more time than the average guy. Plus, he really is Superman. So, as I show you the projects we're taking on, I promise to be honest about how time consuming and difficult they are. Not everyone is as patient or talented as my Superman. ;)
** As we make our way through this recession ... and find ways to pinch every penny until it squeals, I promise to share our ideas along the journey. We really are all in this together. Hopefully, one day, we will look back on these not-so-fun financial times and tell our children stories, not just about how we survived, but how we THRIVED during one of the worst economic recessions on record.
There are a few confessions that I feel I need to make:
1. I am an artist, not a crafter. I majored in Visual Art & Design with an emphasis in painting. I'm not crafty. Really. Truly. I'm not. I don't have nick nacks. I don't make my own nick nacks. I don't have patience for nick nacks ... but ... in my quest to become 'relavent', I am going to try out NICK NACKS. Should be interesting.
2. I am an artist who focuses mainly on painting. However, I hate to paint everything: walls, shelves, NICK NACKS, trim, yadda yadda. Go figure. Unless it's a canvas, I don't want to paint it!
3. I absolutely loathe manual labor, but I would never call myself lazy. I think even the most unattractive person can be beautiful if they work hard ... and on the flip side, even the most beautiful person can be unattractive if they are lazy. I promise. I'm not lazy. But I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate manual labor. This makes poor Superman's job that much harder.
4. When I shop for clothes, I find one thing I love and then buy it in every color. Nope. Not joking. If you see pictures of me, chances are I will be wearing a different color variation of the same thing in every picture. My friends over look this glaring flaw and I love them for it. :D
5. My sweet Superman is one foot taller than me. A. Whole. Foot. Power to the shorties!
6. I'm very impatient. I want things done now. I want results now. I hate waiting for anything. Sign me up for instant gratification ... NOW! ;)
7. I am a conservative voter. That's right. I'm going there. I'm conservative for one reason only: I think our government should run their house the same way I have to run my house: ON. A. BUDGET. If I don't have money for it? I DON'T GET IT! I'm not racist, homophobic, evil, etc. To each their own. Truly: TO EACH THEIR OWN. So, if the most fiscally conservative candidate is a liberal, he gets my vote. ;)
9. I have a horrible vocabulary. AWFUL. Really. I frequently misuse big words thinking I know what they mean when I really have no clue. It keeps my husband and family laughing. :D
10. I come from a pull-my-finger family of 9 kids. I have two older sisters and six (SIX!!!!!) little brothers. I promise. There is not a fart joke in the world I haven't heard. ;)
I'd love to meet you all somehow, someday, but for now, I'll settle for your comments and questions as they come. Hopefully I can be of service to you along the way. We're all stuck in this crappy recession together. Might as well make the best of it!