Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Repurposing an old picture frame

About a month ago, I hit the point where I was tired of everything looking 1. cheap, and 2. tired. However, I am a FIRM believer of ‘Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without!’

Thanks to a trusty little can of Rust-Oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint, I was able to give all of my picture frames a new lift and a fresh look. Plus, they all match now … even if they are different styles. The result was awesome. I’ll be continuing my quest to give all of my accessories a face lift, but for now, let me show you what I am talking about. Here is a $10 picture frame from IKEA that I purchased a couple years ago:

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint picture frames picture1

Boring and cheap looking, right? Right.

Well. Check it out  now:

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint picture frames picture2

It’s amazing what a little spray paint can do for something. I spray painted both the frame and the matting to match. Then, I flipped it horizontal and hung it up on a different wall in my house.

Mission accomplished.

Total cost: Probably 50 cents worth of spray paint. Win.

Here’s the side by side comparison:

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint picture frames pictures before and after
We even got a little crazy and spray painted ALL the picture frames in the hallway so that they were all the same … but still different. I LOVE this.
rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint picture frames
If you haven’t done so yet … you need to go buy some Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint!! :D

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog very much. I'm a grandmother of 4 and raised 5 children on a fixed budget. Back in the day it was much harder to refurbish old into new because the limited ideas and possibilities. Now days there is no limit to what we can do for little money. You make me smile. Young couples today think they need it all, top of the line everything. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie! I never saw this comment in my email. But, you sent it on my birthday! Your words are so sweet. And, I agree 100%. It's really more fun to be creative and share ideas that a bigger audience can utilize in their own lives. We're definitely having fun with what we do. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete